suggestions anyone?

Chun (Jimmy) Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Fri Dec 10 07:00:15 UTC 2010

Thanks, Phil, for the observation.
Yeah it may be cultural. (I think it was) Dorothy Lee wrote
something like this: For the Americans, zero/silence is "nothing"
and thus needs to be filled up; but for Japanese (for example), it
bears its own existence and value. Hence, a Japanese person can
sit around all day not doing anything (in American eyes) while
enjoying her break, but when an American got a break, she'd need
to find something to do or she'd feel that she has wasted the
time.

Yeah but the teacher-student/adult-children relationship must be a
different thing. I think in East Asian cultures in general the
adults would have a even stronger desire to help children do
things than the American or European adults would. In Taiwan's Han
society, there's this saying, "Children should be all ears, no
mouth" - that is, when adults (parents and teachers) speak,
children are not supposed to respond. Maybe that's why the
Taiwanese students, when learning a second language, tend to be
better in writing and reading than in speaking. maybe.

Dr. Hardman, please help me out if I made a wrong reference. I am
on a road trip and couldn't check my bookshelves.

Jimmy/Chun