ILAT Radio Program(s) on Blogtalk Radio and/or Ning ILAT Community Site....

Tracy Jacobs Tracy.Jacobs at PARLIAMENT.GOVT.NZ
Tue Feb 2 23:26:49 UTC 2010

Kia ora

I thought you might be interested in this (yep, another one).

I'm catching up with Kim at morning tea on Friday and handing over some more magazines. I catch up with her a couple of weeks ago to do the same thing. From what she was saying it sounds like Sandra is under siege a bit (to put it mildly) - when Sandra was checking her job description she discovered that Margaret's JD had acquired more repository management responsibilities. Sandra went to Terehia about this (because it happened on her watch), and from what Kim said, Terehia was not pleased and would be doing something about it. I am SO not happy with what they (Margaret and Wendy) are trying to do to Sandra, but I don't know how I can help.

I did say to Kim that it sounded like constructive dismissal to me - M and W trying to squeeze Sandra out in the same way they did with you - but I'm not sure how she took it (she went quiet for a bit). I do know that Kim said she couldn't cope with that kind of thinking when you commented on the desk arrangement issue (with M inserting her buddies between other people so we couldn't "collude") - it did her head in. I guess I'm more of a name it and deal with it kind of person, aye. It's scary, but then you know what you're facing.

In better news - simultaneous interpretation of te reo into English will be starting next week in the House. It's nice not to have the flow of the korero broken up!

Ma te wa

Tracy
-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Heather Souter
Sent: Wednesday, 3 February 2010 07:09a.m.
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: ILAT Radio Program(s) on Blogtalk Radio and/or Ning ILAT Community Site....

Taanshi kihtwaam!  Hello, again!

I have been thinking about doing an internet radio program for Michif for a long while....  I even have an account set up at Blogtalk Radio but haven't really done anything with it yet.  I also set up an Ning site for Michif sometime ago but that never went anywhere either....  However, Phil's recent post talking about an Ning site and my friend's new radio show have gotten me thinking again....  Perhaps I wasn't meant to try to do these things in isolation?!  (Dah!)  Perhaps, we could do something as a community?  Not just for Michif, of course, but for all our languages--or at least those of people who want to get involved.

Now, I am not a digital Native nor do I really "like" technology (sorry!). (I like it for what it can do but I don't really like messing around with the nuts and bolts!  LOL!)  However, I am hoping that there is someone out there who does and would be willing to get involved. ( Like Phil mentioned in an earlier email, perhaps an MA or PhD candidate?)

So, here is the dream....  What  if WE started an Internet radio program (with call in, etc.!--on Blogtalk Radio?) so that we could present our ideas/talks/papers/interviews to a wider audience...?  The program could even be "broadcast" and the podcasts moved to an site like Ning where access could be managed if/when necessary (at the request of the speaker, an elder, a band or tribal council, etc.) (Of course, the podcast could even be given to the carriers/owners of the knowledge shared and the original destroyed if so asked.)   What if we had an Ning site we could put up videos as well and even have chat sessions when if we wanted to get together...?  I am almost positive that Elluminate! (head office in Calgary, Alberta, close to here!) would be willing to give us access to a  virtual classroom  when we could do webcasts, have meetings, etc....

My sense is that many others may have dreamed or are dreaming in a similar way.  I believe our dreams can show us the way....

Thanks for reading this and listening to me.

Eekoshi.
Heather