Question re copying cassette tapes

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Fri Feb 12 02:38:50 UTC 2010

If you're "creating an audio CD" using iTunes or indows Media Player, then
sure; it'll do all the converting for you, but this is potentially
sub-optimal, as you may be creating a CD from mp3 files. These programs
will happily expand them out to CD-Audio WAV specifications in the
formatting and burning process, but needless
compression/expansion/transcoding should be avoided.

I was thinking along the lines of manually formatting a bunch of audio
files using Audacity or something, and using a program like burn (on a
mac) or Brasero (on Linux). There must be a similar program for Windows -
the point is there should be a checkbox for 'audio CD' - but I haven't
used Windows in some time.

On the tangential issue running alongside this thread, yes, the higher the
better when it comes to audio quality, and only transcode at the last
minute. If you're digitising something and turning it into an audio CD for
instance, do all your bits and pieces to the files, normalising, EQ, noise
filtering, etc. first. Resampling and dithering to 44.1 at 16 should be the
very last operation.

Bill maintains that the human ear is incapable of discerning frequncies
above 22000 kHz, and that may well be true, but the human brain is capable
of hearing quantization at that speed. As a test, take a 44.1 kHz file and
slow it down by half using ELAN or something - you'll hear choppy
playback. If you do the same to a 96 kHz file the effect is nowhere near
as noticeable.

-Aidan