Longevity of documentation - Has anyone looked into albums?

Suzanne Urbanczyk urbansu at UVIC.CA
Fri Feb 12 23:55:40 UTC 2010

I have enjoyed reading about the various issues that arise with
digitizing cassettes.  Many thanks!!

The discussion has reminded me of a larger issue w.r.t. the long-term
status of audio recordings.  The question I have is whether anyone
has looked into copying materials onto LPs - the old-fashioned analog
album?  The reason I ask is that I have been thinking that this might
be one form of media that has the potential to retain its longevity
more than others.  Even 50 year old scratched, gummy old albums can
be cleaned up and played and do not rely on whether this or that 0 or
1 is at the beginning of the file,  whether the compression algorithm
changes the signal, the program changes, etc. etc. or whether the
media is going to disintegrate after being played after 20 years.

The album has been making a come-back lately and there are different
types of presses that I am aware of, but want to know if anyone knows
anything more about this.  Ida Halpern (ethnomusicologist) used to
take a "record-maker" (the picture I saw looked like a "record", not
a wax cylinder) with her to document music of the Pacific Northwest
and I wonder if there is anything like what she used that is
available today.

many thanks,

Su Urbanczyk