Longevity of documentation - Has anyone looked into albums?

Eric Poncet [NunaSoft] tmp at NUNASOFT.COM
Sat Feb 13 23:27:32 UTC 2010

Hi,
Thanks Suzanne for this point on longevity.
Here's my two cents on archiving strategy, and the merciless fight
against media loss: everytime you get a new computer to replace the
current one, don't just transfer all your files onto the new computer
and get rid of the old one: take the old hard drive out of the computer
and store it in a safe place. As most users, I change computer every 2-5
years on the average, and my IT experience leads me to believe that the
average hard drive longevity is significantly longer than 5 years
(though I have no stats on that point). Over the past 25 years, I've
always saved my old hard drives and kept them in different safe places.
I've been able to successfully read files from them whenever I tried to.
Due to the incremental nature of this strategy, that also means I have 6
archives of those 25 year old files spread over different places, and
I'll have 3 more in the next 10 years, etc. Not to mention the automatic
daily+weekly+monthly backups of my current PC.
Such an incremental archiving scheme would be way harder to implement
with analog media. The cost? About 10 minutes of work to open that good
old PC, unscrew the drive and unplug it.
Cheers,
Eric Poncet
CTO
www.nunasoft.com