CFP: SILS Deadline Extended

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Jan 13 22:17:35 UTC 2010

fwd msg

*17th Annual Stabilizing Indigenous Languages Symposium*

*“Language and Place”*

Call for Proposals

June 25 - 27, 2010

University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon

*Proposal Due Date EXTENDED:  February 1, 2010 by 5:00 pm PST*

The University of Oregon and the Northwest Indian Language Institute are
pleased to announce

that we will be hosting the 17th Annual Stabilizing Indigenous Languages
Symposium

held June 25, 26, and 27, 2010. The University of Oregon, in Eugene,

sits on ancestral lands of the Kalapuya people.

* *

*Language and Place* are intrinsically tied together.  Indigenous thought
and lifeways are rooted in the places people have lived since time
immemorial.  With this thought in mind, please submit proposals that support
these ideas through educating and informing language workers, advocates,
programs, and linguists from around the world.

*Symposium session information*

We invite you to submit a proposal that will fit in one of four venues:
workshops, demonstrations, poster sessions, and panel sessions. The
symposium committee will select proposals that focus on language
documentation, revitalization, maintenance, methodology, research,
practices, and teaching which address and/or incorporate the *Language and
Place* theme.

We are especially seeking presentations that inform and educate Symposium
participants on the best practices in language revitalization/maintenance;
not presentations which primarily promote a specific company, product,
service, or solution. Sessions will range in time from 45, 60, and 90 minute
blocks.

* *

*Important dates*

Complete proposals must be received on *February 1, 2010 by 5:00 pm
PST*.  Online
and email submissions are highly encouraged!

The committee will contact you on or before *February 15, 2010* to let you
know if your proposal has been selected for presentation at the Symposium.  All
decisions are final.

* *

*Symposium waste-free goal*

In being mindful of our environment, our goal is to be a waste-free event.
Therefore we encourage presenters and participants alike to help in this
effort to avoid unnecessary waste or excessive use of paper. To this end, we
encourage presenters to offer digital materials to participants when at all
possible.  We would be glad to offer the Symposium website as a place for
participants to download materials before or after the Symposium.  Please
let us know if you would like to take advantage of this offer.

*Symposium proposals should include the following:*

Name of the person(s) who will be part of the session

Affiliation (tribe, nation, organization, etc.)

Title and description of the session - up to 300 words

Audio, visual, computer needs - **please note, we cannot provide lap top
computers*

Type of session (panel session, paper, poster session, presentation,
workshop)

Length of session (45, 60, 90 minutes)

Presenter(s) profile(s) - on a separate page please include the following
information about each presenter in your proposal: name, title (if
applicable), affiliation (tribe, nation, organization, university, etc.),
contact information (including email and phone number), and a biography of
no more than 100 words per presenter.

*Please indicate if you are willing to make your handouts digitally
available before and/or after the SILS

*Something Different at SILS 2010*

This year we would like to offer a space for language groups, alliances, and
organizations to meet.  If you are a leader of a language organization,
please send in a one page Meeting Proposal.  Be sure to include: your group
name, name and contact information for your group’s main person/contact,
expected number of participants, and the type of meeting you will be having
(business meeting, language/language family work group, open discussion
forum, etc.).  Also, indicate if the meeting is open for anyone to attend.  A
meeting agenda would be a good resource to include with the proposal, if
available.

*Please mail your session proposal information to:*

SILS 2010

NILI - University of Oregon

Attn: SILS Committee

1629 Moss Street

Eugene, Oregon   97403    USA

*Send via email to:*

sils2010 at uoregon.edu

*For updated conference information and documents visit the SILS 2010
website at:*

http://www.uoregon.edu/~nwili/SILS/SILS.html<http://www.uoregon.edu/%7Enwili/SILS/SILS.html>

* *

* *

* *

*Important Dates*

SILS Proposals EXTENDED to - February 1, 2010 by 5:00 pm PST

Notification of proposal acceptance - February 15, 2010
SILS 2010 - June 25, 26, and 27, 2010