Language immersion required for Aboriginal students (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jul 22 22:18:10 UTC 2010

Language immersion required for Aboriginal students

Lakehead University’s Native Language Instructors’ Program students were
impressed with the full-time Ojibwe immersion classes being held at an
elementary school in Michigan.

by: Rick Garrick - Wawatay News
July 22, 2010: Volume 37 #15, Page A7
USA

“It’s like jumping in the water; when you’re in the water you get totally
soaked with the water,” said Angus Chapman, a first-year NLIP student from
Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug who has worked with Wasaya Airways and Wawatay
Native Communications Society. “If you’re in the language speaking all day,
it soaks in much more than just an hour or half-hour a day. It starts to
build inside you as well. We’re like empty guitar cases because we don’t
really know who we are. If we develop our language much better, get to know
it, we will begin to feel more hope.”

Chapman and about 110 other NLIP students and staff learned about the
history and successes and challenges faced by the Waadookodaading Ojibwe
Language Immersion Charter School during a July 9 presentation by
Waadookodaading teachers Lisa LaRonge and Keller Paap at the Bora Laskin
Auditorium.

Access full article below:
http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/all/2010/7/22/Language-immersion-required-for-Aboriginal-students_20312