Indigenous language institute looking at high-tech solutions to an age-old challenge (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jul 22 22:37:56 UTC 2010

 Indigenous language institute looking at high-tech solutions to an age-old
challenge

By Ileiren Poon July 22, 2010, Canada

Phillip Cash Cash was in Edmonton to share his research and insights into
the use of multimedia in language learning and preservation
(Edmonton) The herculean task of preserving and teaching endangered
Aboriginal languages in Canada is getting a high-tech boost.

Phillip Cash Cash, a PhD candidate in the Anthropology and Linguistics
program at the University of Arizona, was in Edmonton to share his research
and insights into the use of multimedia with students in the University of
Alberta’s Canadian Indigenous Languages and Literacy Development Institute
(CILLDI).

“Throughout the communities that I work with, people are using video
cameras, partially because of the reduction in price and the new
technologies. This widely available technology means there are going to be
new uses, new opportunities,” said Cash Cash, a Nez Percé from the Cayuse
Nation in Oregon. “Multimedia is really a tool that people can use to enable
their ability to capture language in its many facets. It’s a fairly new tool
in our kit to help preserve our languages.

Access full article below:

http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/NewsArticles/2010/07/Indigenouslanguageinstitutelookingathightechsolutionstoanageoldchallenge.aspx