Native names becoming more widespread as first nations work to keep their culture alive (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Jul 23 17:34:36 UTC 2010

Native names becoming more widespread as first nations work to keep their
culture alive

BY KIM PEMBERTON, VANCOUVER SUN JULY 23, 2010
Canada

Haida Gwaii, the Salish Sea and a recent attempt to give Stanley Park a
native name are all signs of a larger movement to help keep first nations
languages and culture alive.

While the Haida Gwaii and Salish Sea namings were high-profile and the
Stanley Park proposal for a native co-name was not implemented, there has
been little to no fanfare over the renaming of dozens of other B.C. places,
land areas and even park trails.

"It's wonderful to see our languages and names being used," said Tracey
Herbert, executive director of the First Peoples' Heritage, Language and
Culture Council. "We are the first people of the land. It gives our heritage
value. It's like we are becoming part of the culture."

The organization, which assists first nations in their efforts to revitalize
their languages and cultures, is funding about 200 projects this year, some
of which include the naming or renaming of geographic areas and places.

Read more:
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Native+names+becoming+more+widespread+first+nations+work+keep+their+culture+alive/3312799/story.html#ixzz0uWmvBJ52