survey

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 24 19:18:55 UTC 2010

Hi Neskie,
I tried a couple of the open source aps and couldn't get them working
either. I think it was because of the way that the server is set up (I
have an account on a university research server that in theory allows
the running of php scripts and so on, but because all the instructions
assume that the user has access to the root directory, and I don't, I
could never figure out how to get things running properly).
I'm using a service called evoca. It hosts the flahs and I'm paying
about $8 a month for 1800 minutes of storage (that will go down once
the initial rush of responses is over, but for the moment we're
getting a few hundred a day and I can't keep up with the data
processing!)
Many thanks for passing on the survey.
So far we have about 650 responses so far. the quality is mostly very
high, though there's a wide variety of ages and (I assume) computer
equipment. Age range of responses is from 18-81, about 65% women.
Getting the files off evoca is a bit fiddly but apart from that things
have run smoothly. Evoca also has a free 15 mins of storage. It's
possible to use it to leave voice comments on blogs, upload podcasts
(and I think video too, though I'm just using audio).
Do let me know how it goes with the open source flash player!
All the best,
Claire
(ps, did you leave a message on my voicemail at work earlier this
week? If so sorry I didn't get back to you, it was a little hard to
hear and then the voicemail cut off your return number so I didn't
have all the digits!)