Linguist gives voice to ancestral Huron language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Mar 27 07:31:16 UTC 2010

Linguist gives voice to ancestral Huron language

BY MARK CARDWELL, SPECIAL TO THE GAZETTE
MARCH 26, 2010

WENDAKE – As a girl growing up in Norwalk, Conn., an hour’s drive
north of New York City, Megan Lukaniec wasn’t all that interested in
her aboriginal heritage or the postage stamp-size reserve near far-off
Quebec City, where her father’s Huron-Wendat mother was from.

But as the main linguist and chief trainer at the heart of the Yawenda
Project, the 25-year-old is now literally giving voice to the rebirth
of her ancestral language.

“It’s a real honour for me to be involved like this – but it’s a lot
of hard work, too,” Lukaniec said.

Soon after coming here in 2006 to study the Wendat language on a
one-year fellowship from Dartmouth University in New Hampshire – where
she did an undergraduate degree in a Native American program that “got
me interested in my roots” – Lukaniec met Linda Sioui and other
residents in Wendake who were busily planning the Yawenda
language-revitalization project.

Access full article below:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Linguist+gives+voice+ancestral+Huron+language/2731530/story.html