Linguist gives voice to ancestral Huron language (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Sat Mar 27 14:36:06 UTC 2010

Thanks Phil
 for posting these articles on ILAT, on the revival of the Wendat(Huron)
language.
This has been an ongoing and HUGE project.
Our sister Wendat nation in Quebec has the enthusiasm from its youth
to revive language, just as they have revived ceremonies of our ancestors.
If ANY dormant language can be revived, the Wendat of Quebec will do it
and do it so well that its going to be another BIG success story for
linguists
all around the world to be encouraged by.

I only hope our Wyandot people in Oklahoma and Kansas and Michigan
will eventually understand its value. Assimilation unfortunately runs so
deep
it will require an awakening from a deep *assimimuted* state.
((*how do you like that word*?))

Today...It means educating our youth of what we had, and have lost.

Until people feel a craving for healthy food they'll simply eat junk food.
and our indigenous languages will only be a side salad.

ske:noh
Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte, Oklahoma