Scholar in Siraya

Chun Jimmy Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Fri May 21 18:18:25 UTC 2010

Thank you, Richard

As for waking up sleeping tribal members, well, we began by just
"listening." Say, our language was labeled (and still is by some)
as "extinct" or "dead." But me and my friends (in their 40s)
didn't give up. We went on to visit some elders. At first, the
elders were reluctant to talk... they probably didn't want to be
reminded of being "savages," which was/is the label the mainstream
put on us. But then as they realized that we were sincere, they
became willing, and eager, to talk. From there we found out we
actually have rememberers, who know some words and phrases. In
addition to linguistic input, the elders also told us stories (in
the dominant languages), taught us songs, taught us how to make
some tools, or showed us pottery they had hidden away for decades.
We listened to them, and we learned from them. Then we taught the
young ones what we had learned. And... somehow, the young ones
have been very interested since, even though learning these things
wouldn't bring them any practical benefit (like entering college)
since our people have not yet been officially recognized by
Taiwan's govt. So anyway, we have had no problem with the young
people... and many of the older ones. Still, we do face difficulty
convincing the middle-agers, like the parents of those school-age
children. until today, some parents think of learning our heritage
as "useless." But anyway, we are progressing and optimistic.

So... allow me to say that "all ears" is right. Some members may
have been sleeping, but many of them do have "dreams." Listen to
their dreams first and then one day they may wake up and put an
effort to make the dreams come true.

Jimmy