Questions regarding Facebook and language revitalization efforts

Aliana Parker alianaparker at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 26 03:46:16 UTC 2010

Winter greetings to all,

First, thank you to all for your many interesting and thought-provoking
emails! I joined the ILAT just last winter and have really enjoyed learning
through your discussions. I am a linguistics graduate student in Canada and
I hope participate and contribute in some small way to language
revitalization efforts through my research.

Currently, I am trying to learn about the role of web-based media in
indigenous language education, particularly regarding the use of Facebook
for education and revitalization. Earlier this year in January an email
exchange went around regarding the use of Facebook with indigenous
languages, and I would like to follow up on that.

Are any of you currently using Facebook, either pages, groups, games or
other applications to help your language efforts, or do you know of others
who are? Do you use FB in a personal way in your own language as a concious
choice to maintain your language? Also, even if you can't answer the first
questions, do you have any thoughts regarding the use of FB in such a way?
Do you think it is an effective tool or do you think there are problems with
the use of it for language revitalization?

Any thoughts or comments or links you might have would be greatly
appreciated.

With many thanks and warm wishes,

Aliana Parker