Questions regarding Facebook and language revitalization efforts

Cunliffe D J (AT) djcunlif at GLAM.AC.UK
Fri Nov 26 09:49:52 UTC 2010

Hello Aliana,

We have done some work looking at the use of Welsh on Facebook which you might find interesting.

The use of the Welsh language on Facebook: an initial investigation.<http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13691180902914628> Honeycutt, C. and Cunliffe, D. Information, Communication and Society, 13 (2), 2010: 226-248.

We have done some further work looking at young Welsh speakers use of Welsh in their social networks (both online and offline) which we are currently writing up.

Our work is not so much looking at Facebook as a tool for education or as a deliberate tool for revitalisation, we are more interested in the natural (largely unconscious) behaviours of Welsh speakers within the Facebook environment and the perception among speakers that it is a space in which Welsh can be and is naturally used.

I suspect that the significance of Facebook and the way in which it could be used will vary greatly from one language context to another, so be cautious of generalising from one to another.

Hwyl,

Daniel.

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Aliana Parker
Sent: 26 November 2010 03:46
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] Questions regarding Facebook and language revitalization efforts

Winter greetings to all,

First, thank you to all for your many interesting and thought-provoking emails! I joined the ILAT just last winter and have really enjoyed learning through your discussions. I am a linguistics graduate student in Canada and I hope participate and contribute in some small way to language revitalization efforts through my research.

Currently, I am trying to learn about the role of web-based media in indigenous language education, particularly regarding the use of Facebook for education and revitalization. Earlier this year in January an email exchange went around regarding the use of Facebook with indigenous languages, and I would like to follow up on that.

Are any of you currently using Facebook, either pages, groups, games or other applications to help your language efforts, or do you know of others who are? Do you use FB in a personal way in your own language as a concious choice to maintain your language? Also, even if you can't answer the first questions, do you have any thoughts regarding the use of FB in such a way? Do you think it is an effective tool or do you think there are problems with the use of it for language revitalization?

Any thoughts or comments or links you might have would be greatly appreciated.

With many thanks and warm wishes,

Aliana Parker