Questions regarding Facebook and language revitalization efforts

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 30 04:27:31 UTC 2010

Facebook is an interesting beast

I'm more familiar with content in Dinka and Burmese on facebook.

With Dinka, more and more Dinka users are using Dinka language on
status updates, wall postings and notes.

And a few people have got together via facebook to publish a Dinka
language magazine in Kenya and Sth Sudan.

The one issue i'd mention is that of font requirements.

Facebook uses a single font stack regardless of the language being
used, and relies on operating system level font fall-backs or on
browser level font fall-backs

So for some languages, depending on operating system, getting text to
display correctly can be complicated.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Project Manager, Research and Development

andrewc at vicnet.net.au
lang.support at gmail.com