Are dying languages worth saving? (fwd link)

D. Gloumbia dgloumbia at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 16 00:12:59 UTC 2010

I respect Mufwene very much as a linguist, and I know people who know him
well and have worked with him even on issues involving endangered languages,
where he has been more helpful than one might guess, as well as encouraging
the study of diverse languages and of young scholars working on these
topics. He has read a lot (though not very much cultural theory, i think)
and knows a lot. But I nevertheless find his writing on the topic
offensively accepting of an economic (and bio-evolutionary, which makes it
too much like US neocon philosophy) metaphor that he knows better than to
apply to a non-economic (indeed, *sui generis*) phenomenon like language.
The tone of his writings on the topic is not progressive, and not
sympathetic to any of the parties concerned about language loss. Finally,
his work, like too much of the good work on endangerment, fails to target
the #1 issue which I think needs to be addressed: what Foucault would call
the "positive power" created by major langauges that makes it look like they
are "more than" or "more modern than" others, *and that* it is therefore
"more modern" to lose the family language and take up English (or Mandarin,
or Hindi, or Spanish, or Russian, or...) relatively exclusively. There are
too many economic ("competition") and bad pseudo-biology (again,
"competition") metaphors in the writing on this subject. I think we need to
ask more and more how to *undo *this "positive power" of major languages, in
addition to talking about saving languages.

I also really despair, I'll admit, when thoughtful academics (like Mufwene,
& maybe even the blogger) think a good use of their energies is to
discourage people from viewing the loss of languages as a critical issue for
our world today. it is more, not less, critical than outsiders think; it
does no good to give them any reason at all to dismiss the topic. In this
sense, while I in no way protest Mufwene's *right* to do such work, I am
forced to question its point and its motivation.

David

--
David Golumbia
dgolumbia at gmail.com