Nigerian academics seek to elevate humble Pidgin (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Sep 22 20:02:27 UTC 2010

Nigerian academics seek to elevate humble Pidgin

By Yinka Ibukun
LAGOS | Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:59pm BST
UK

(Reuters Life!) - It may share many of its words and basic grammar with
English, but a perplexed look descends across the face of most newcomers to
Nigeria the first time they are addressed in Pidgin.

"How you dey?" comes the question, or "How body?" (both meaning "how are
you?")

"I dey fine" is the correct response, or, if you're in a less upbeat mood,
"body dey inside cloth", meaning "I'm coping/making do with the situation,"
or literally "I'm still wearing clothes."

Access full article below:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE68J2OG20100920