Old anthem, native voice (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 23 20:32:26 UTC 2010

Old anthem, native voice
Vasquez opens Round-Up by singing anthem in native Umatilla tongue

17, 2010.

By OWEN R. SMITH East Oregonian |
USA

As the Centennial Round-Up got under way, thousands of rodeo fans heard the
familiar strains of the national anthem, but listening closer they probably
noticed something just a bit different: Carina Vasquez was singing in the
Umatilla language.

Vasquez’s version of “The Star-Spangled Banner” was the first time in
Round-Up history the national anthem has been sung in a Native American
language, and she called it an empowering experience.

“It was my choice (to sing in Umatilla),” said Vasquez, 19. “It’s my
language. Not a lot of people my age really get to learn those things. It
meant a lot to me making everyone proud. Our language is very important.”

Access full article below:
http://www.eastoregonian.com/sports/rodeo_round_up/article_eef85fd4-c1b9-11df-8719-001cc4c002e0.html?ref=nf

Audio link available