Blackfoot Language

Rrlapier at AOL.COM Rrlapier at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 15 12:39:21 UTC 2011

KBWG Brings Blackfoot Language  Lessons to the Airwaves
By _Stephanie Tyrpak_
(http://www.kfbb.com/aboutus/ourteam/newsteam/69662272.html)

Story Created: Apr 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM MDT
Story Updated: Apr 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM MDT
When a small radio station in Browning took to the airwaves  over six years
ago, the idea was to add programming that would be meaningful to  the
community. And in the past two weeks, 107.5 FM has launched a language class
that airs four days a week.

In a one room radio station, Darrell Kipp  leads a one hour Blackfoot
language broadcast that could one day play around the  world.

"I was a little apprehensive at first, but the language is  important to
our tribe, and we want to do anything possible to revitalize it,"  said Kipp.

KBWG Radio has expanded since the station received its license  back in
2004, adding new DJs and formats, and providing a language show was a  plan
from the beginning.

"We want the radio to be something positive in  the community that brings
back who the Blackfeet people were and who they are,"  said KBWG manager Lona
Burns.

Like many tribal languages, Blackfoot has  struggled to survive with fewer
children becoming fluent, and many people not  seeing that the language can
be used in day-to-day life.

"A native  American language, ours the Pikuni or the Blackfeet language, is
part of modern  day," said Kipp.

To teach Blackfoot to a broad radio audience, Kipp  relies on old
recordings and simple instruction. And because 60 minutes is not  enough time to pick
up a language, a short booklet is being handed out for free  to help
listeners learn the grammar on their own.

“As we know in English,  first, second, and third – I, you, and you guys –
Blackfeet also has fourth and  fifth,” said Kipp. “It has timeless verbs,
it has very unique  qualities.”

With hopes of streaming KBWG online in the near future, the  radio course
could someday connect families in Glacier County and soldiers in  Afghanistan
to the language and heritage of the Blackfeet Tribe.

"It’s a  community radio station, so anybody’s that from here that maybe
don’t live here  anymore, they’re still part of community and that they want
to be a part of the  radio,” said Burns.

During the week, the show airs on Monday and Tuesday  at noon. For the two
weekend shows, the broadcasts are dedicated to longer  Blackfoot recordings,
with the Bible being played on  Sundays.