abundant press...

Dale McCreery mccreery at UVIC.CA
Mon Apr 18 23:05:47 UTC 2011

Boston was a term for Americans in Chinook Jargon, spoken all over the
pacific northwest, throughout BC and into Alaska and the Klondike with the
gold rush, and has been borrowed into pretty much every language in BC as
Boston, boosn, baaston, etc.  It had a lot of secondary meanings as well -
Boston wawa (american speech) meant lying, or here in Sgüüxs dialect of
Tsimshian boosn-g̱aws is a top hat.  We also have Boston Bar in the
Frasier Canyon.

I wonder if the words in Delaware come from the Jargon as well, or were
borrowed independently?

Dale