Looking for web-hosting

monty hill mhill06 at SIMONS-ROCK.EDU
Fri Apr 22 15:42:32 UTC 2011

Hi Dale,

Good to hear about your recording efforts! It is a funny thing,
because at Tuscarora up here in WNY, we are beginning to look for a
solution to the very same problem that you have.

First off, it might be a good idea to investigate any local
universities that would be willing to help out. Like Richard said, it
will be something you will have to pay attention to, because if the
primary person you are working with decides to leave from the
institution, then you are short support from the interior of the
University. One of the institutions you could look at working with
within the university/college would be a library, which is interested
in holding onto things for a long time, and keeping them archived.

Of course, in this case, you probably might not have a nice website
etc to get access to the material. Regardless of the case, when
working with institutions such as this, you will need to draft a
Memorandum of Understanding, to basically figure out what exactly is
the role and responsibilities of you and your language and the
institution you are working with-- this is mainly to determine who
would be able to see these materials, and ideally, it is a document
which you will never have to work with.

If you have a community center available to you with public computer
terminals, another of the things you could do to just afford community
access to the materials, is simply host all of your data on the local
network, which would make things incredibly fast and would also mean
that you wouldn't have to worry about re-encoding your data, keeping
it at archive quality for those people who would be interested in such
a thing.

Ideally, you're going to want to be holding onto all the recordings in
a few formats/media (i.e. DVDs, different hard drives) etc, so you
will still have everything if your current method of serving it goes
south.

Hope this helps,
Monty Hill
Tuscarora Language Program