Looking for web-hosting

Richard Littauer richard.littauer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 22 10:39:51 UTC 2011

As far as I see it, you have four options:

   - Hosting it on your own website. This isn't a bad move, but it requires
   that one of your team has to have some knowledge of websites in general, or
   you'll have to pay someone else to do it for you. Alternatively, you could
   always get an undergrad to help out with setting up a website, as they
   generally have the time and the interest (I've done this sort of thing for
   several sites now (I'm an undergrad)). The problem is that you then have to
   deal with that person if you want things uploaded, so it might be better in
   the long run to do it yourself, if you have the knowledge. A good option is
   installing a wordpress or an easy CMS  (content-managing system) and running
   your site through that, and uploading recordings and the like separately.
   For webhosting, I, and most of m informatics friends, suggest Webfaction as
   the best in the industry: great tech support, relatively cheap, lots of free
   space, limitless MySQL databases.
   - Hosting it at your university. The downside is that often IT
   departments can move around information when they update the site, which
   might interfere with your stuff. The other downside is that often your site
   being up is dependent on you staying at that university. I've seen dozens of
   sites that have gone defunct when the main professor finds another
   university.
   - Hosting it at a university - independent of your involvement. This
   mostly means attaching it to a project which that university has long term
   funding for. This is probably the best option, as you're minimally involved
   with the set-up and hosting, but it seems to me to be harder to find.
   - Hosting it independantly, using GoogleSites, Wordpress, and then free
   upload services, like YouTube, Vimeo, or even something more download-based,
   like DropBox. This is an option if you just want the information to be able
   to be downloaded, but I don't think that this is the best option for your
   potential users, who generally want something integrated into your site.

Hope this helps.

Richard