Looking for web-hosting

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 23 13:39:47 UTC 2011

This is a timely issue. There are a number of "archiving" services out
there. You may want to take a look at DoBeS to start
http://www.mpi.nl/DOBESAlthough this might not be exactly what you are
looking for it may give you
some ideas (there are several similar sites). PARADESIC
http://www.paradisec.org.au/ is another source out there.  There is also the
very good TAPS checklist for choosing an archive. You can access it
here<http://users.ipfw.edu/bischofs/ling/colr/colr_start.html>by
choosing the "TAPS Check List for Responsible Archiving of Digital
Language Resources." This is an entire thesis, but chapter four has all the
relevant information regarding choosing an archive, which you may find
useful. You will find other information at the link regarding best practices
including a link to Protocols for Native American Archival
Material<http://www2.nau.edu/libnap-p/index.html>.
The Archive of Languages of Latin
America<http://www.ailla.utexas.org/site/welcome.html>is another
excellent source for ideas about archiving. Finally, the Eastern
Cree <http://www.eastcree.org/cree/en/> website provides a nice example of a
community based online language resource that may be of interest and that
seems to have a strong commitment to permanence. It was created and funded
(in great part) by the community.

Over the last 10-15 years academics have been working on developing
protocols, best practices, and resources for online archival practices (see
Dobes <http://www.mpi.nl/DOBES> and EMELD <http://emeld.org/index.cfm> ) as
have community members (see Protocols for Native American Archival
Material<http://www2.nau.edu/libnap-p/index.html>).
One thing I think we can learn from this is that it if a community already
has some kind of tech support, a server, an archivist, and a language
program or some combination thereof  (not an easy feet for all), they can
create their own archives or online language resources with a commitment to
"permanence" for the resources. Partnering with first nations colleges is
another good route to take. One of the challenges with placing material in
an "archive" like Dobes is that it may just "sit" there. Placing resources
directly in the hands of the community as part of a larger program of long
term online language resources may provide more opportunities for community
members to engage in the resource (e.g. for use in online pedagogical
resources).

It would be nice if there were "one" place that provided space for these
types of endeavors. It would need to be flexible to allow communities to
create online resources to meet their needs, but at the same time provide
adequate space and security.

Good luck,
Shannon