language apps

Forger, Garry J - (gforger) gforger at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Dec 16 18:01:05 UTC 2011

Excuse me that I don't have extensive knowledge of this but thought this may be of interest.

Many of you are probably familiar with Voice Thread http://voicethread.com/  web based system that lets you upload images and annotate with voice and text.  So you can have language learners annotate in the language of their choice.

This is now available as an app for the iPad.  Not sure about android.  I think only for iPad2 since it has the camera, but works nice and worth checking out.  This is a generic language tool and of course not customized for a particular language.

Garry Forger

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Phillip E Cash Cash
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:52 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] language apps

Greetings ILAT folks,

A tribal community language teacher made an inquiry today and is asking the following question...

"Are there any language apps that can be used on Ipad 2 and Iphone?
What are the names?"

This would be a good time for experienced ILAT members to provide a kind of informal up-to-date review of what is currently being used.
Too, the question can include Android users as well. :)

I do wish to suggest that each response would be helpful if it can provide some insights on user experiences (either as an individual or
group) and/or the language is it used for.  Much thanks in advance!

Phil
UofA