language apps

Mary Hermes mhermes at UMN.EDU
Sat Dec 17 13:28:44 UTC 2011

We (Grassroots Indigenous Multimedia) have been working on a mobile app for Ojibwe with Transparent Language, it will be out in January, and free.  It is a nice looking electronic flashcard system with pronunciation practice etc.
We are making it from content in our software (Ojibwemodaa)  but just finished recording a very good Elder from Ft. Frances (Nancy Jones) to make lists that come from real conversations.. very interesting!

I am pretty sure this process could be repeated for other nations/ tribes.
In fact, the Menominee are doing the same things - we worked with them initially,
they make their own content, and now going through Transparent to get the Moblie App released on Itunes
and then distributed. ( I think they keep their's private though).

The downside?  It is still translation/ literacy based-
it does have a place to put in short videos or images, instead of English translations-
this is is our next step. So it could be just Ojibwe audio to image...but how do we get that kind of precision
in images? "They are helping him" With a verb based language this seems to be the hurdle for a really effective App.

Sorry to go on so long! Can you tell I have papers to grade???
Thanks for asking! Interested to see what others are doing too! So nice to skip the computer.

Mary