WebFonts

dzo at BISHARAT.NET dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Tue Feb 15 23:00:38 UTC 2011

Hopefully this is a dumb question, but  the fonts in the directory are all unicode encoded?

Tangential question: are there any indigenous language programs using non-standard encodings for fonts with extended Latin characters (either on the web or on computer applications?

Don Osborn

-----Original Message-----
From:         Andrew Cunningham <lang.support at GMAIL.COM>
Sender:       Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
Date:         Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:41:30
To: <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [ILAT] WebFonts

It is a bit trickier than that if you want to handle content in a
cross browser and cross OS manor, including mobile devices.

* You'd need to support eot, ttf/otf, woff and svg web fonts.

* Avoid optimising webfonts when they use opentype tables, since some
tools strip out opentype tables breaking the font.

* Current best practice for @font-face syntax is described at
http://readableweb.com/new-font-face-syntax-simpler-easier/

* Most recent versions of firefox impose same origin restrictions.
Other browsers may also do this in the future. This means that web
fonts have to be form the same origin as the stylesheet and site using
them. Its possible to get around this restriction if you want your
fonts at a different domain or sub-domain form the content. On an
apache server you will need to add a .htaccess file with commands to
allow other origins to use the fonts.

* You may want to use something like Googles WebFont Loader to handle
how webfonts are called and how the page is styled while the page is

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Project Manager, Research and Development

andrewc at vicnet.net.au
lang.support at gmail.com