Head shop name offends some First Nations (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jul 26 16:32:05 UTC 2011

Head shop name offends some First Nations

CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2011 10:22 AM CT
Canada

A head shop in Winnipeg's West End is offending some people with its
aboriginal name, Miigwetch.

In the Anishnaabe language, Miigwetch is the word for thank you.

The shop sells drug paraphernalia, such as glass pipes, and some
aboriginal people are far from thankful to be associated with those
items.

"Our language is sacred to us. I don't want our language to be a part
of any drug culture," said Robert Sinclair, who was with his
11-year-old daughter when she spotted the shop's sign on Notre Dame
Avenue.

Access full article below:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/07/26/mb-head-shop-miigwetch-winnipeg.html