Fwd: Taiwan's Siraya people in need of help

Huang,Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Fri Jun 10 02:34:39 UTC 2011

Dear friends on ILAT,

If you know me already, yes this concerns my people - the Siraya in
Taiwan.
I have been too distressed to write, but Prof. Oliver Streiter has put
down some words, which I am forwarding to you here.

Chun (Jimmy) Huang
Tainan Pingpu Siraya Culture Association
postdoc, Thakbong

---------- Forwarded message ----------
 From: OLIVER STREITER
  Date: Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Subject: Taiwan's Siraya people in need of help

Dear Friends, dear Colleagues,

A university in Taiwan, the National Chung Hsing University in
Taizhong, is going to destroy the homes of Siraya people of the Khau-pi
community, using as a legal base for its claims on the land the
"acquisition" of this land as forest area in 1920 by the Japanese
government, which then was transferred, or confirmed to be transferred
by the ROC government to the National Chung Hsing University. The last
poor Siraya that have been overlooked through all that time are now to
be forcefully removed, their houses to be destroyed. Why can't the
administrators of this university understand that what might be legally
right is morally a no-go?

Letting legal issues aside, why would that leading university want to
oust some (old) people out of their homes, although the land the
university already has at its disposal is not fully used for research,
but for recreation, including ice and noodle consumption, or tea
drinking. A fat pig is raised and circus performances organized for
people that arrive on the territory in huge coaches. I have been to that
area probably 30 times. I have seen more tea-puddings than microscopes,
more karaoke singers than students, more tourists than bees.

Why is it so hard for this university to accept the current social
situation, with Siraya people living on the ground it manages, and to
turn this situation, as it is, into a win-win situation in which the
Chung Hsiung University and the Siraya people work together on language,
culture, music, architecture and biology?  And in times that people
talk about ethno-biology, the need of linguists, anthropologists and
biologists to work together, wouldn't the presence of Siraya people on
this land not be a rich source of information, also in biological,
botanical and geological questions? How much could students learn by
walking with the Siraya people through their land? I think a lot. Pay
them, don't take their homes.

After all, it seems to me, that WHAT we are doing getting less
important after a while and the only thing that matters is HOW we have
been doing it. I am not proud of what I have done, I only am proud, or
feel sorry, about how I have been doing certain things. The WHAT might
be the acquisition of some acres of land. The HOW, however, will remain
in the hearts of all, bitter or sweet, until the last day of each.

If you are interested in this matter, visit the web-sites below and
feel free to share information with interested friends of colleagues.

regards, Oliver

  http://savingsiraya.blogspot.com/

  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_215460051810521

  http://exp-forest.nchu.edu.tw/forest/html/english.html