Response to Deb Roy's study

Cathy's hotmail account chimiskwew at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 18:51:00 UTC 2011

Re: [ILAT] Response to Deb Roy's studymy husband describes context based language learning as an emotional process. When you "feel" the language, then it's yours! So context along with a word forms an emotion of some kind, it means something to you! We have a memory with all of the words we know and everytime we hear them, that memory is there and so does the meaning we associate with it. We become hard-wired that way!

From: Kingston, Deanna
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 12:24 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Response to Deb Roy's study

Thank you for your comment, Cathy!

I also just got to thinking that Deb's other point was that they were able to map the physical location in which learning took place. "Water" was centered in the kitchen while "bye" occurred at the door.

This makes a case for teaching a language in situ - i.e., if you are learning words about picking greens on the tundra, then you should be out in the tundra. If you are learning words for skinning a seal, then you should be skinning a seal. This might be the basis for increased funding for language camps out on the landscape, which can and should take place year-round. A classroom is an impersonal, not as socially or culturally significant, place to learn.

Again, this may already be in the literature . . .
Thanks,
Deanna