Building the Ideal Online Video Curriculum For Endangered Languages Using WAYK

Heidi Harley hharley at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu May 12 15:41:38 UTC 2011

Hi all --

One member of our working group, Dane Bell, has been creating some
captioned video files for audio-only interviews in Hiaki, so that
people can hear the language and read it at the same time,
karaoke-style, on the web.

The method Dane has been using for creating his captioned video files
for these audio-only interviews can also be used for video, I believe.

He wrote up a set of instructions describing what he's doing, which you
can link to here:

http://dingo.sbs.arizona.edu/~yaqui/CaptioningInstructions.pdf

It involves the free software Aegisub Advanced Subtitle Editor, plus
some other sofware that isn't free but may have free equivalents.

However, this method is still extremely time-consuming!!

I'll send a link to the finished product when we get it up so you can
see what we were trying to accomplish.

all the best, hh

thanks for all the posts

--