Building the Ideal Online Video Curriculum For Endangered Languages Using WAYK

Christopher Cox cdcox at UALBERTA.CA
Thu May 12 23:54:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> The free software Elan (http://www.lat-mpi.eu/tools/elan/) is for
> transcribing media with time-alignment, and exports to subtitle
> format. The added benefit is that you get a transcript file that can
> be archived together with the media (thinking about how to access this
> in the future).

Just to add a quick note to Nick's message: there are also several
sets of instructions online on how to use ELAN to make YouTube-ready
subtitles.  Mark Dingemanse[1] has a nice, brief write-up of how to
produce the kinds of subtitles that YouTube and other, similar sites
accept, and there are also notes and slides from a course that Andrea
Berez and I helped lead at InField 2010[2] that go through the process
graphically, step by step.

[1] "The Ideophone: Subtitles in ELAN and beyond"
http://ideophone.org/subtitles-in-elan-and-beyond/

[2] "InField 2010: Aligning text to audio and video using ELAN"
http://logos.uoregon.edu/infield2010/workshops/aligning-text-elan2/index.php

I've definitely found the process of transcribing with ELAN to be
quicker than using custom subtitling software for the same purpose --
and, as Nick already mentioned, you come away with a transcript that
can be readily archived and reused in the future, which is often well
worth the effort in itself.

All the best,

--
Christopher Cox