Native peoples ask Jesuits to help preserve language (fwd link)

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Wed May 25 21:34:28 UTC 2011

Re: [ILAT] Native peoples ask Jesuits to help preserve language (fwd link)I simply respond to people who ‘apologize’ to me or say, ‘I’m sorry....’ ‘Please don’t apologize to me or tell me you are sorry...just don’t do it again and/or fix it.’ Apologies, to me, are simply a license to repeat inappropriate action and I will not allow myself to be victimized by an apology. I see people repeatedly victimized by their willingness to ‘forgive’ perpetrators.

_______
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon
"there was a time when we could list the problems...
not anymore...
the situation has outdistanced our ability to understand it...."

From: Dr. MJ Hardman
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: Native peoples ask Jesuits to help preserve language (fwd link)

Well said.  Some of us study the ‘apologies that aren’t apologies.’  MJ

On 5/25/11 2:10 PM, "Richard Zane Smith" <wlmailhtml:rzs at WILDBLUE.NET> wrote:

  on a similar note:
  Public apologies are big media events and becoming "the in thing"
  Apologies ought to accompany a commitment to undo damage that's confessed to,
  not simply a time for the abuser to get a hug and made to "feel better".

  as much as apologies are nice...many tack on disclaimers in fine print at the end
  to make sure no one can legally hold them accountable to their admissions.

  a public apology puts Indigenous people ON THE SPOT.

  To refuse to accept a public apology makes indigenous people look "unforgiving" and mean,
  and the "apologizers" as the ones turned away for seeking to right a wrong.
  but
  to accept apology gives the abuser documentation of "a public forgiveness"
  a freedom from guilt, a sigh of relief that they may be now free from prosecution.

  Either way,an apology without committment to work to heal or undo damage,
  is merely an emotional "feel good event" for the party with dirty hands.

  ske:noh,
  Richard Zane Smith
  Wyandotte Oklahoma