Tribe focuses on preservation of Apache language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Nov 10 18:38:37 UTC 2011

Tribe focuses on preservation of Apache language

BY: Sandra Rambler/Staff Reporter
USA

Peridot — The new San Carlos Apache Tribe’s Language Preservation
Program Director, Beatrice Harney Lee, was recently hired to oversee
the reimplementation of preserving the Apache language among the
people of the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation which is comprised
of over 14,000 tribal members residing within the districts of Bylas,
Gilson Wash, Peridot and Seven Mile Wash.

“Shi Tu’giannshliigo, K’ainchiibanishi tii, Shi Chohastii Haiayehnlii,
Shinale Goonnlii,” Ms. Lee eloquently says her native Apache language.

“Nnee/Ndee Bi Yati Baa Na’isid.”

“In the English term, I just said I am born into the White Water Clan
and born for the Reddened Willows People. My maternal grandfather was
from the Rising Sun People from the San Carlos Apache People and my
paternal grandfather was from the Mohave People from Fort McDowell,
Ariz.

Access full article below:
http://www.silverbelt.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=77&story_id=3115