Information about transcription software

annie ross annier at SFU.CA
Thu Oct 6 17:26:03 UTC 2011

dear Susana and friends:

i am not a linguist nor an expert, but i do have experience with transcribing oral histories.

i have tried a software program (5 years ago) with notably poor results. i know software changes daily, and perhaps it is the answer to your issue now.  that would make the work so much faster, and i would love to know if something like that exists and works.

issues i have seen in transcriptions:

when i reviewed transcriptions of Harrington's Tewa notes, for example, when compared with his original hand-written notes, i found there were transcriber's errors in the spelling of many words, although Harrington wrote the correct version; especially names (personal and place). synonyms were put in place in some instances, giving the 'information' a new and unintended meaning. a person who had lived in the area and been involved in the landscape and people would see the errors, but most folks, would not.  i worried about this, and how this might lead future researchers astray, especially when mining the transcribed information for data on clans, land, and all.

as for oral taped interviews, in my experience, nothing can take the place of a human transcriptionist, And, a final review with the tapes by the original researcher.

issues:

*  local spelling of words;
*  local names that do not appear on maps nor in current memory;
*  regional meanings of words (aboriginal-centric);
*  clarification of meaning in context of the interview to explain pauses, hand gestures, gaps, stops;
*  use of slang relevant to a small region;
*  metaphors based on traditional religion, politics, spiritual beliefs;
*  idiocyncratic phrases;
*  names (nick-names, clan names, euphamisims, a name with a meaning 'there' vs. its meaning 'here');

also, even with a professional transcriptionist (mine who is fantastic and wonderful, BTW), i find errors in the final copy.

thank you. keep up the good work!

good luck to us all in all things.

annie