Berenstain Bears now speaking endangered language (fwd link)

Donovan Pete dpete at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 15 15:11:31 UTC 2011

I think a lot of times, we need a will to push us to want to innovate
ourselves.  With the all the items you listed, it can be done, we just need
to find a way to focus that desire and distributing the need to push our
cultures.  I am Navajo and I have had this idea to shot a short film, I want
the dialogue entirely in Navajo and a bit of a love story but focusing on
the Navajo culture.

I think the reason that many are replicating mainstream/popular songs is
that its easy to do and you can easily incorporate respective languages.  It
would be great to see artists step up and do original works but
unfortunately we have that mind set of what benefits us, it use to be that
we can easily share but everyone wants credit for the work.  I think once we
begin to realize the endless potential to utilize our voices and use it
well, we can do so much and have so much power onto ourselves.

I would like to think the Berenstain Bears using an indigenous language is a
bit of a wake up call for all of us to teach the younger generation and show
the importance of our respective cultures, education is key and we are
lifelong learners, no matter if we are done with the formal, we still have
much to learn on our own.

Just my two cents.

Donovan

--
Donovan Pete
Graduate Candidate, Information Resources & Library Science