Berenstain Bears now speaking endangered language (fwd link)

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Thu Sep 15 18:18:17 UTC 2011

Richard...thanks for expressing your thoughts on this 'dicey' subject
honestly and emphatically. I agree with all you have said and suggested.
Most often, our languages twist Western culture into a form which expresses
Western thought and culture...not the culture and ways of the people of that
language. I have often referred to it as the 'glass slipper syndrome' where
the language and culture of a people is squeezed into a format that just
does not fit and probably never will until we have chopped and butchered it
into the 'correct' shape for any intelligible language..in most cases
English and much like Cinderella's step sisters an crone mother. The process
contains the same authoritative forms used in standard education systems and
methodologies which are destructive to indigenous language and culture. Our
ability to raise our generations into our culture and language has been
usurped by the educational institutions and infra structures which support
it from childhood to Hollywood.

Some years ago, a political organization supposedly representative of the
people, decided to develop a translation unit which would translate
government information and policies into the 'people's' language. In
visiting the communities and speaking with the people, they expressed the
situation pretty emphatically. They suggested, and this was par for all the
communities, that the people know the words and understand the words but
when it is all put together none of it made any sense. In this situation,
the non indigenous world in company with the indigenous organization
supposedly representing them, were collectively changing the language and
culture of the people. Metaphorically, everything was travelling in the
wrong direction. The organization was set up to represent 'the indigenous
peoples' to foreign governments but were, however, representing the
government into the peoples and their communities.

One of the barriers, as I see it, and a major one is the development of an
infrastructure which will qualify our indigenous peoples to do what we
'need' done and do it in 'our' way. Prior to 1492, we were not self
destructive.

Every one's comments are very interesting and appreciated. We need this
level of discussion at our levels of involvement.

-------
wahjen
rolland nadjiwon
The government cannot give to anyone anything it has not first taken from
someone else....

  _____