Saving Endangered Languages in Latin America

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 16 19:19:34 UTC 2011

Hi again,
Forgot to add that I think such a grant would easily provide stipends for
elders, assistant salaries, etc....and DEL is about the only place that
supports this kind of work right now -- Although there are some other
possibilities at NSF that could play into this with the right 'tweaking'
--..Some places develop roll-over maps using technology (very cool) --
showing collaboration on such a project across so many tribes is a certain
plus as well....Also consider  NEH funding -- I can put you in touch with
folks in both agencies...

Best,
susan

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM, BSantaMaria <bernisantamaria at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ms. Penfield:
>
> Have a question for possible grant applic to DEL next year--we've been
> working on Apache place-names for the Western Apache reservations in AZ for
> a couple of years without any grant funding but now find a need since the
> areas we are going to focus on are very large reservation areas & will need
> additional resources, etc.
>
> My question is if you think it would be feasible for us to submit a grant
> application to conduct fieldwork on gathering place-names utilizing elder
> consultants (will need stipends), some current staff (can we use part of
> salaries as In-Kind contribution?), & additional staff as needed?  The main
> goal is to revitalize & maintain the Apache place names for use by future
> generations, for teaching tools in local classrooms, develop maps, etc. (in
> a nutshell) although proposal not yet developed, just ideas for now.
>
> I would deem this to be a project that would assist our tribes in
> revitalizing our Apache languages, along with teaching the oral histories of
> how place-names came to be, what some represent symbolically, etc. for our
> young people to learn along with the names.
>
> One of the consultants/advisors for several years is Dr. Keith Basso,
> retired Anthropology professor, & the whole group would be an adivsory
> committee that consists of the Western Apache groups:  White Mountain
> Apache, San Carlos Apache, Yavapai-Apache Nation, Tonto Apache Nation.
>
> We've already been in discussions on this for several meetings & would like
> an idea if the DEL grant funding or other you might suggest that might be
> more apt?, we'd like some feedback on whether we can plan on a submission
> for next year's grant cycle.
>
> Thanks for any info & I think I mentioned before that I'm a UA graduate &
> working on language & cultural knowledge issues.
>
> Bernadette Adley-SantaMaria, Cultural Advisory Board Member/Grant Writer
> White Mountain Apache Tribe & Western Apache NAGPRA Working Group Member
>
> PH:  (928) 594-6826
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Susan Penfield <susan.penfield at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Apologies for cross-posts --
>>
>> http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2011/08/25/effort-to-save-endangered-languages/
>>
>> Good projects with support of the DEL program at NSF!
>>
>> --
>>
>> **********************************************************************************************
>> *Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
>> *
>> Research Coordinator,
>> CERCLL, The Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language and
>> Literacy
>> University of Arizona
>> Phone: (520) 626-8071
>> Fax: (520) 626-3313
>> Website: cercll.arizona.edu

*Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
*
Research Coordinator,
CERCLL,  Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language and Literacy
CONFLUENCE, Center for Creative Inquiry
University of Arizona
Phone: (520) 626-8071
Fax: (520) 626-3313