Taiwan: Pingpu Aborigines demand recognition

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Sun Aug 12 06:45:14 UTC 2012

I think, as indigenous peoples, any one of us can understand these words at
a depth inconceivable to any of the colonizers. I am glad your people voiced
strong objections even in the face of greater retribution from oppressive
governments. I think, often, of our struggles globally and more often of the
people, like yourself, I have come to know though cybernetically. I recall
being at a symposium where someone, non indigenous, commented on the
internet being incapable of expressing emotion. I objected strongly to that
position countering that our indigenous peoples could express emotions on
the internet because those emotions rested in our hearts and are felt every
day in our lives, in our families, in our communities and with each other
and that is how we communicate everyday. We have no abstract emotions in our
communications...that is what, most importantly, separates us from people
who have lost being 'human beings'. In our language, we name ourselves
'anishinabeh'. Some will say it means 'indians', first nation and any myriad
of bureaucratic convenience. To take the word for how it really means to us,
'anishin' means good, something good, or it is good...the root
'nish-shi-shin' attached to 'nahbeh' meaning human being, person...we have
no genderization so 'nahbeh' is inclusive of male and female. So, if we are
not, by nature, 'good persons' we cannot be 'anishinabeh'...when we no
longer have that meaning, we will no longer be 'good people'....our name and
our nature is symbiotic. Many of our young people are now forgetting this
and encounter self destructive lifestyles like alcohol, drugs, sexuality and
suicide.
My Uncle Wilmer, in that article, understood what colonialism would/could do
to our people and said so over 50 years ago. His words have gone from
prediction to newspaper headliners. I am certain there are many 'indigenous
peoples' like ours, yours and mine, who are experiencing this maelstrom of
destruction.
In following the news earlier, it was reported there was heavy storming and
flooding in Taiwan. I immediately thought of you and your people. I did some
prayers in our old way for your people and families. I hope all was well for
your communities and people.
My wife and I have been dealing with both being retired and on limited fixed
incomes...our families are so large and spread out and we all need to help
each other. Five of our Grandchildren are with us and two of our sons...it
seems we are always busy. We have so much fun and enjoyment together and we
all love each other so much. More recently, I have had to slow down with my
presence on the internet and spend that time with family. My Dad too, lives
right next to my place and he is 92 years. He and the Uncle in the article
are the last two members of my Grandfather's 14 children. He is healthy
still but tired. He also misses my Mother who passed away four years ago
last May.
Anyhow, I am writing this at 2:39 AM and I have finished my tea and will
sleep now. You will probably get this in your mail when it is still our
early morning or night time. Have a great day and I hope all is well with
your wife and your family in Taiwan...we don't have the kinds of salutations
there are in English so I would have to say 'good night' for now...lol.

wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon
  "in the cabaret of globalization, the state appears as a stripper -
it strips off all its characteristics until only the bare essential remains:
repressive force." SubCommander Marcos...