Native American Languages Could Count For Class Credit (fwd link)

Linn, Mary S. mslinn at OU.EDU
Fri Jan 20 16:44:21 UTC 2012

Here is some information for Oklahoma Universities:

The University of Oklahoma offers 5 Native languages: Kiowa 1-3; Choctaw 1-3; Cherokee 1-3; Creek/Seminole 1-4; and Cheyenne 1-2. All of these fulfill foreign language credit and, with the exception of Cheyenne, fulfill all the different college requirements by having three semesters.

Northeastern State in Tahlequah offers two undergraduate majors: Cherokee Cultural Studies (B.A.) and Cherokee  Education (B.A.Ed). They offer up to advanced Cherokee language and Cherokee linguistics. You can be state certified in Cherokee Language instruction.

Southeastern State in Durant offers Choctaw 1-4 and 2 levels of Conversational Choctaw.

Comanche Nation College in Lawton offers Comanche 1-2 and Kiowa 1-2.

Muscogee Nation College offers Mvskoke 1-2 plus Conversational Mvskoke; they have a specialization in Mvskoke Language which includes literacy courses as well.

Pawnee Nation College offers Pawnee 1-3.

The Oklahoma State Department of Education has allowed Native languages to fulfill the the 'foreign' language requirement since the early 1990's. To better accommodate this, they changed the name of the requirement to World Languages, and I think they should be applauded for that!  Currently, or recently, languages that are in the public schools that count for World Language credits include Comanche, Kiowa, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cheyenne, Pawnee, Cherokee, Ponca, Osage. If I missed any, I apologize.

Mary S. Linn
Associate Curator, Native American Languages
Associate Professor, Linguistic Anthropology
Adjunct Associate Professor, Native American Studies

Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, OK 73072
405-325-7588 (voice)