question

Dawn McInnes Dawn_McInnes at GOV.NT.CA
Mon Jul 9 15:12:17 UTC 2012

To:  James Rementer  in reply to his question about speaker icons on language apps on iPad.

James:

I am emailing from the NWT Canada where recently two language apps ( one referred to as the Dene Languages app – for North Slavey, Tłı̨chǫ,Chıpewyan, Gwıch’ın, South Slavey; the other as Yati: both available to download free of charge from iTunes) for use on iPhones, iPads and iPods have the speaker icon.   Check them out and if you have any questions, email Leslie or Margaret (who will be back in the office in August) directly.  Alternatively, NWT language technical expert, Jim Stauffer may be able to assist.

Dawn

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jimrem at AOL.COM
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 9:13 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] question

Hello Phil and members of ILAT:

We found it necessary to add this comment in the Introduction section of our Lenape Talking Dictionary (www.talk-lenape.org).  A sample can be seen at the site http://talk-lenape.org/search.php?q=corn&ls=english which gives words dealing with Corn.  The little red speaker icons should appear to the left of the Lenape words.

"We should mention that if you are using an Apple iPad to access the Taking Dictionary you will not be able to see the speaker icons to play the sound files. It seems that Apple has chosen not to support Adobe's Flash program which is used to display the icons, so to hear Lenape spoken you will need to use a real computer."

If anyone at ILAT knows of an app or work-around for an iPad that will allow the speaker icons to show please let us know.  There is no telling how many websites are built using Flash and how much of their content is also not visible on an iPad.  Or maybe on other Apple products as well.

Thanks,

James A. Rementer, director
Lenape Language Project
The Delaware Tribe