Indigenous LOTE program saves dying language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jun 7 00:09:52 UTC 2012

6 June, 2012 11:04 AM AEST

Indigenous LOTE program saves dying language

By Alice Roberts
AUS

Speaking to one another is something we take for granted but for some
people their language is slowly dying.

The community of Woorabinda, 200 kilometres west of Rockhampton, is paving
a new way for education with their Indigenous LOTE program.

The program is teaching primary school students the Ghungalu dialect.

Chairman of the Woorabinda LOTE Program Shemmie Leisha is a Ghungalu
descendent and one of only six Australians who can speak his family's
language.

"I see us as the Ghungalu's leading the way for other language groups
because Woorabinda is made up of 52 different language groups," he says.

Access full article below:
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/06/06/3519301.htm