How geography shapes cultural diversity (fwd link)

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Sun Jun 17 03:03:04 UTC 2012

Thanks Rudy...with a different approach to the supposed information, I
arrived at the same conclusions you make with your final statement. The
checkerboard of juridical boundaries has over whelmed the pre-colonial
patterns of movement and relationships of peoples and cultures, at least, in
the Americas. Most of the old stories tell of people moving north to south
and vice versa. Groups of people would go South travelling for up to three
years or so and return with parrot feathers and cocoa laves for medicine.
Also, the major migrations of birds, buffalo, butterflies and etc. were and
still are North South movements.The people moved North and South following
these migrations which were sustenance. The East West movement is probably
postcolonial and probably as a direct result of the fur trades and the
European passionate indulgence in a search for a passage to the wealth of
the Orient.
Forth years ago a Cherokee and Anthropologist friend of mine would tease me
that civilization grew North out of Mexico and colonization has not changed
that. He would tell me to not be surprised when some morning I wake up and
there is a Taco Bell being built up across the street. We would laugh about
this but I have watches how the adopted language of Spanish/Mexican has
moved, in a 40 year period, across the American/Canadian borders into
Canada. He has long since passed and our daughter married a Spanish American
youth from Tucson and my two eldest Grandchildren are Spanish American,
Apache, Potowatomi, Odawa and Ojibwa...there is also some European but that
certainly keeps getting watered down. And now, my Great Granddaughter, 9
months, is Spanish American, Apache, Cree, Odawa, Potowatomi and Ojibwa.
Again there is a watered down mitochondrial connection to some
Europeans...there may be a bit of French or English or maybe Scottish. I am
often complimented by having Spanish/Mexican people assuming I am Mexican
and speaking to me in Spanish. That I cannot, usually embarrasses both of
us....so, before I get off topic, I think there is as much or even more
practical evidence to indicate the greater movement on a North South axis.
Numbers can be skewed by any bookie science but the major North South
highways being built on old Indian trails or along migration paths of
buffalo and other wildlife is much more a part of the story of the earth
itself.

wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon
  “in the cabaret of globalization, the state appears as a stripper —
it strips off all its characteristics until only the bare essential remains:
repressive force.” SubCommander Marcos...

  _____