=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CLiteracy_Makes_You_Lazy=E2=80=9D=3A_?=Saving Endangered Lan guages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 26 03:21:21 UTC 2012

“Literacy Makes You Lazy”: Saving Endangered Languages

Posted by Brian Clark Howard of National Geographic News on June 25, 2012
US

“Literacy makes you lazy: we don’t memorize 10,000-word epic poems any
more,” David Harrison, the director of research for the Living Tongues
Institute for Endangered Languages, told an audience at the Aspen
Environment Forum in Colorado this past weekend.

“I don’t even memorize cell phone numbers any more,” said Harrison, a
linguist who studies many of the world’s disappearing languages.

Harrison’s group has been featured in National Geographic, and his
team formed a five-year joint project with NG, Enduring Voices, to
study some of the most important endangered language “hotspots” around
the world. Harrison is also an NG fellow.

Access full article below:
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/06/25/literacy-makes-you-lazy-saving-endangered-languages/