=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CLiteracy_Makes_You_Lazy=E2=80=9D=3A_?=Saving End angered Lan guages (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Tue Jun 26 13:46:25 UTC 2012

Some things we just don't take the time to commit to memory
but some of us working on the revitalization of language and reviving
ancient ceremonies
still must put in time to memorize speeches and prayers. It's important
these are not read aloud.

Memorization of speeches takes time...lots of time. TIME is what our
nervous fast-paced
dominant culture is consistently short of. When do people have the time to
memorize anything?
Some memorize during commutes.I practice memorization while rolling clay
coils in the studio,
or while working in the garden.
Memorization requires a calm place, and often some kind of methodical
routine , sanding, polishing, sweeping,
hoeing, weeding, driving, snapping beans, twisting dogbane fibers for a
bowstring....
these are the moments when the mind is free, unfettered , open and
malleable.

unéh!
Richard Zane Smith

--
*

"Think not forever of yourselves... nor of your own generation.

Think of continuing generations of our families,

think of our grandchildren and of those yet unborn,

whose faces are coming from beneath the ground."             The Peacemaker,

 richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*