=?windows-1252?Q?=93Literacy_Makes_You_Lazy=94=3A_?=Saving End angered Lan guages (fwd link)

Anthony Webster awebster at SIU.EDU
Tue Jun 26 12:22:37 UTC 2012

Apparently, prior to literacy, Harrison memorized his cell phone numbers!
Literacy does not "make" you "lazy." Harrison seems to be ignoring a great
deal of research on the interconnections between orality and literacy.
Memorization, for example, has co-existed with literacy (there are a number
of religious examples of this). Literacies are social practices. We should
be suspicious of claims of technological determinism. akw

--
Anthony K. Webster, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Dream other dreams, and better!