=?Windows-1252?Q?=93Literacy_Makes_You_Lazy=94=3A_?=Saving End ang ered Lan guages (fwd link)

King, Dr Alexander D. a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Tue Jun 26 13:54:07 UTC 2012

I find it really surprising that David would say something so silly. Actors memorize thousands of lines of plays. Shakespearean actors making a career playing different roles on the stage memorize all the lines for multiple roles across several different plays because they deploy that knowledge regularly. Same with opera singers. I have forgotten most the lines to Marc Anthony's funeral speech that I memorized in high school because I haven't been performing it regularly. I can only assume that the reporter deleted all the hedging and context that David would normally provide.

Watching and helping my 6-year-old and 9-year-old acquire literacy shows me just how much hard work is involved. It doesn't end with them. Teaching first-year university students how to read a journal article is another skill requiring teaching and practice before they learn how to do it. I'm sure David has had similar experiences teaching undergraduates, too.

The point that I think David was trying to make, and the 'journalist' garbled, is the classic Boasian position that oral traditions should be valued just as much as written/literary ones. The keepers of oral traditions are also fantastic artists in many cases. We will never know for sure unless we send out more people to document those traditions in the original language, and even better would be to foster a political and economic landscape that rewarded those individuals and communities for maintaining heritage languages, whereas now they are rewarded for shifting to one of a handful of dominant languages.

-Alex