=?windows-1252?Q?=93Literacy_Makes_You_Lazy=94_?=: Saving End angered Lan guages (fwd link )

Maya Tracy Borhani gmcmaya at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 26 15:32:55 UTC 2012

On Jun 26, 2012, at 6:46 AM, Richard Zane Smith wrote:

> Memorization requires a calm place, and often some kind of methodical routine , sanding, polishing, sweeping,
> hoeing, weeding, driving, snapping beans, twisting dogbane fibers for a bowstring....
> these are the moments when the mind is free, unfettered , open and malleable.

As does any significant, meaningful, learning. In our homeschooling efforts, all "mental" work was done with the accompaniment of at least ONE of the suggestions you name - especially math, in Waldorf style, involved real, hands-on counting units (blocks, rods, etc;), never just abstract theory on paper (for Gr. 1-6).

This paragraph should be incorporated into every school's curriculum policy. Thanks for stating it so beautifully.

Maya
Maya T. Borhani
Master's Student, Language and Literacy in Education
Faculty of Education
University of British Columbia
2125 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC