=?windows-1252?Q?=93Literacy_Makes_You_Lazy=94_?=: Saving En d angered Lan guages (fwd link )

Anna Luisa Daigneault annaluisa at LIVINGTONGUES.ORG
Tue Jun 26 17:29:12 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I am writing to you on behalf of the the Living Tongues Institute for
Endangered Languages. I just spoke to David Harrison and he said that "the
headline was a very poor choice by the journalist." He had the post edited
so it is now entitled “English Goes in One Ear and Out Another”: An
Endangered Language
Perspective<http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/06/25/literacy-makes-you-lazy-saving-endangered-languages/>".

You can click on the link and refresh it in your browser to see the new
title. Additionally, we are forwarding all your comments to the Nat Geo
NewsWatch team members who were involved with the article, so they can
better understand the social issues surrounding literacy and oral
traditions and not jump so quickly to conclusions. As people on this thread
have mentioned, journalists sometimes misunderstand and misconstrue the
words of their interviewees, and take certain sentences out of context
without worrying about the consequences. Harrison will also post his own
reply later today when he is back from his trip.

all the best
Anna Luisa

--
Anna Luisa Daigneault, M.Sc
Latin America Projects Coordinator & Organizational Fellow

The Yanesha Oral History Archives
Arr Añño'tena Poeñotenaxhno Yanesha
www.yanesha.com