I wonder if this would be true for Native languages

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Mar 28 02:40:47 UTC 2012

Thanks Rolland,

i feel it almost every day too..there is a heavy weight dragging on any
attempt to revitalize our language,
 maintain ceremony or even gathering for social dance pot-lucks. One of the
curses is "busyiness"
and it has so infected us, that gatherings, for language practice or study
or even sacred gatherings
must be "fit into a schedule" . I doubt our ancient ancestors were idle
much, but there were some things that
weren't designed to fit in your schedule...you just were to be there.

ske:noh
Richard Zane Smith
(Sohahiyoh)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Rolland Nadjiwon <mikinakn at shaw.ca> wrote:

> **
>
>         Another rant maybe. Perhaps 9/10ths of the unseen iceberg as a
> metaphor, is these languages were never meant to survive in a so called
> 'post colonial' New World. Their intentional destruction is 'fact' well
> known by the survivors and historically documented. Perhaps language loss
> is merely a symptom of why these languages are being lost. Perhaps the
> problem is not even with the 'peoples' but external to them and built into
> the fabric of what has become 'the Americas'. If there is such a great
> moral interest in the survival of endangered indigenous languages and the
> home and community are the conduits for language transmission then the
> family, people and the community must also be repaired from the ravaging
> destruction of both overt, covert and insidious colonialism. Perhaps the
> people and communities must be involved in the development of their own
> language survival programs in a manner which validates their own
> intelligence and worth, culture, cosmology and life paths. There is not
> much point bringing into the communities, 'for the people', a
> pre-formulated pedagogy for language skills when the real problem is their
> total cultural, linguistic and spiritual survival. All of the tribes
> survived with their myriad of languages until 'somebody done somebody
> wrong' and have never identified or corrected that wrong. It must be
> understood, accepted and dealt with that these 'tribal' languages have
> their own 'already there' which is as different from everyone else's
> 'already there'. Their 'already lived in languages' are as different from
> each tribe and the rest of the world as Chinese is from Gaelic. These
> tribal languages have absolutely no 'cognate' relationship to any other
> language than their own dialects and those languages are generated in a
> 'primary orality'. Any linguist must be aware of this...guess I should stop
> here before I am reminded I am off topic again...apologies. There is so
> much more can be said...I live 'inside' this destruction and loss. I deal
> with it every day and not from some evangelical ardor.
>         I agree with many of the points you make Rudy outside the idea
> that institutionalization can be an solution. Institutions have not yet
> provided or even acted on any long term survival, a fact which is becoming
> even more apparent as we move with ever increasing speed toward the demise
> of this present civilization and perhaps even the earth itself. These
> endangered languages are symbiotically tied to the earth and the cosmos.
> Institutions have little if anything to offer them other than jobs teaching
> endangered languages. You cannot expect these peoples to embrace
> institutionalization which has no history of benefits to them...in fact
> documented evidence to the opposite. There has to be something new and
> innovative to accommodate a new and changed environment. Please don't ask
> [...]

*

"Think not forever of yourselves... nor of your own generation.

Think of continuing generations of our families,

think of our grandchildren and of those yet unborn,

whose faces are coming from beneath the ground."             The Peacemaker,

 richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*